Sunday, July 3, 2011

No Pictures, just some Esoteric Reflections

I'm at the Quest Volunteer Office right now, recovering from a minor stomach sickness (it's bound to happen when you're in Nepal for any extended period of time) and it's been good. Although it wasn't planned (I don't think anyone plans to become sick); this time and it being right after my few days at Chitwan have been in a way a blessing. I've really gotten some quality time by myself without dealing with culture shock or dealing with lesson planning with the monks at the monastery. These few days I've finally felt that I'm on "vacation".

It's interesting, because it came at the same time my friend Djamilia was getting ready to return to her life in France, and my other roommate, Dennis is leaving at the end of the week. It's given me some real time to reflect on things like: "Why am I here?", "Why volunteer in a third world country?", "Why do it for 6 weeks?".

Those are good questions, because my life at home isn't bad at all. I'm a first year law student, have a good relationship going on, good friends, family, etc. Life's NOT bad at home. Yet, I'm here, in the third world, exposing myself to conditions that are far worse than at home (and I've been lucky, a few volunteers have told me stories of situations quite sub-standard to mine; I've been somewhat spoiled and lucky!). And you know what? There's no "GOOD" reason, the conclusion I've come up with is it's because this is something that I've always wanted to do (for like 7-8 years now) and also; it's for growth as an individual.

You just learn so much living in another country/culture, about yourself and about others. You also learn more if you're in a situation that is totally outside your comfort zone, ie. If you're going to the third world, and you live in the developed world (and you know what? It's NOT that bad). And finally, there's something to be said with volunteering some of your time and money to assist the locals, even if you're unsure about the long-term sustainable impact of your work (I ask myself everyday how a few weeks of English teaching is truly going to help the monks, but I guess in a small and hopefully substantial way; it does). It just... FEELS better, you're less of a consumer (while traveling) and you're directly giving back to the local community; creating less of a divide with the locals and yourself.

Anyway, just something for thought.

Hope all is well.

- Ju

No comments:

Post a Comment