Saturday, June 18, 2011

More Pictures, Days off, Sightseeing and Facebook

I've decided to post more pictures, most of them are just from sightseeing or wandering around during my days off or just before arriving at the Monastery. Something interesting though crossed my mind today as I was in the internet cafe. I looked around and I see a bunch of young children, and they're on facebook. Being the curious person that I am, I glance over and see that one of the young boys is messaging a girl from the United Arab Emirates. It's CRAZY! Facebook has DEFINITELY changed the world. Even youth in 3rd world countries (yes, it is the capital city, but STILL); are able to connect with OTHER youth around the world; instantaneously. We'll see what all this means for the world in 10, 15, 20 years from now; but definitely the world is a smaller place now; via location and via $$.

Here are some pics, enjoy!

I played a local game with one of the monks. It's a cross between checkers and pool! I tried my best, but he schooled me, BIG TIME =).

Just watching some movies on the TV. They have access to Bollywood, Hollywood and Chinese movies. Crazy! I ended up watching "The Warrior's Way" with them.

The Cricket Pitch. On Saturday, the classes have matches with each other. It's quite competitive, actually.

These Pictures were taken when I was "trekking" up to the Shivapuri Nagarjun National Park. I didn't know how far the park was, nor was I ultimately prepared for trekking, but it was a good few hours of my time. Apparently there's a nunnery in the park (which spans over 159 sq km) in which there's a beautiful view of all of Kathmandu valley, I might just make another trek there sometime and do the journey.


Rooftop of a local school, overlooking the valley.

Nice shot of the valley from above.

Can you find the monkey??

Dharmashringa - Vipassana Centre


Below - Sightseeing at the Boudha Stupa.

The Boudha Stupa


Nun meditating with a bowl and rice.

The four above pictures are from the Boudha Stupa, quite beautiful.


Just a nice scenic shot from the valley. Cool architecture too.

Notice the bottom right corner? Chickens and Motorcycles, what can I say?

Typical Street in Kathmandu Valley. NOT as crowded as the Thamel Area. When you're there though, it feels 10x more hectic, as there are car honks and everything else going on simultaneously.

- Julius

6 comments:

  1. Love the pics! It was interesting seeing all of the Pepsi stuff in the pic with the motorcycles. It looks really poor there with blankets as doors, yet that pic practically looks like a Pepsi commercial.

    I couldn't find the monkey. lol. Was it the brown spot in the bottom right corner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOPE, right in the middle of the picture, you can hardly see him (but if you pick on the picture, it'll enlarge to it's larger size). Just above the log, good camouflage, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should have come with you lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. =), would be fun! Hot, but fun! It's actually NOT as hot as I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. please please post more monkey pictures! hope you're having a good time, man!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Monkeys? Hahahs! I stopped taking pictures of those little primates! Some of them are running around in the city and the local stray dogs chase them around!

    ReplyDelete