Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Monastery: The First Few Days

So, I've arrived at the monastery, the "Siddhartha Foundation" and taught my first introduction class of English to the monks, alongside my friend and colleague, Dennis! It was quite the experience, it seems that Teaching English to a class of young boys will be quite the challenge, even if they are officially "Buddhist Monks". Kids will be kids, and perhaps I had some hidden presumptions, but it seems like the younger ones are more interested in action movies (ie. Jackie Chan, Jet Li) and sports (European Football and Cricket) than Buddhism!! But then again, I've only been here for a few days, it'll be hard for me to judge.

One of the Older-Senior Monks: Yisia (I have to confirm with him the spelling). Really nice guy, showed Dennis and I around the first day we arrived at the monastery.



Also following a conversation with one of the kids here, I found out who was the Guru, or lead teacher of this monastery: Khenpo Rinpoche. I did some research on the internet and found his bio (link above - oh internet, you work wonders). He seems like a very interesting and compassionate individual. It seems as though most of these kids that I'm helping to teach are either orphans or come from families generally in the "extreme poverty" category (ie. not enough food to eat, etc). Although I wouldn't call the living conditions in the monastery "the high life", all the basics are provided: good and nutritious food, clean water, shelter and a formal education (which I have the privilege of being a part of). Although I am familiar with Buddhism and Asian Culture, I am still shocked by the respect and courtesy that is shown to Dennis and myself as guest volunteer teachers. Although definitely NOT the most luxurious, we have our own private squatter bathroom, a 'nice' two bed suite and they literally bring up 3 meals a day for us and take it away after we're done.

The Siddhartha Foundation - This is only their temporary home, they are raising funds to build a building with more adequate facilities up in the hillside. This may take a few years.

This is the "Suite" where Dennis and I share. Last night we heroically expelled a "Daddy-Long-Legs" and a few mosquitoes from our room, w/o any casualties on either side.

Dhal Bhat - Local Nepali special. Most people eat it 2 times a day, and at the monastery, that is what we're getting for lunch and dinner. It's mainly rice with Dhal (lentil soup), but as you can see, we get a few sides as well, got to love the French Fries (Sorry Dennis, I mean "Chips").

The food is pretty good, but I'm still getting used to it. It's a bit spicy and I think it also has to do with the local water, their water filtration/sanitation/sewage system is definitely not at par with our Canadian one and my Canadian stomach has not fully adapted, even with all the vaccines I've taken, ha!

Kathmandu is truly an interesting place. This would be officially my first time in the "3rd world", and it messes with your head. On one hand, you witness extreme poverty (just tons of beggars, garbage, traffic, scammers, etc); and yet on the other hand, cell phones are aplenty, internet cafes are accessible, and monks play cricket and watch Jackie Chan movies on Saturdays! All this within an unstable government system that is unable to really provide adequate infrastructure to guarantee the necessities of life. And within all of this chaos, the Nepali people just seem.... so happy and content. Especially when one finds himself within the confines of the local monastery; where amongst the surrounding chaos; all one finds himself doing, is eating, playing, chanting, reading, some basic chores and sleeping. Life's definitely NOT ideal, but it's NOT bad at all here at the monastery.

Here's some pics of the monastery pets, I forgot their names =(.



Till next time.

- Julius

6 comments:

  1. Not to dampen the pristine and enlightened images of monks, but I'm not surprised. From my travels, most of the monks I've run across were playing on their iPhone 4's and getting a ride in a Mercedes SUV. So much for living a simple life without any material possessions.

    As for the water, I guess you didn't bring any water purification tablets eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is a 'squatter' bathroom?

    It sounds like this is a very interesting, authentic experience. It kind of erases the romantic notions we may have in the West of what a monastery is like and what monks are like. As you said, kids are kids!

    I'd be interested to know more about what brought these children to the monastery. Did their parents send them? Did they go because they wanted to study Buddhism? Are they hoping to get something from this or are they there to learn English so that they can have a better life later on?

    Anyway, I'm looking forward to more blog posts! I'm loving the pics and finding it interesting reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Blog Julius. I feel your words pulling me toward joining your adventure. I've always wanted to live in a Buddhist monastery and live like a monk.

    How often do they recruit new teachers?

    What is the duration of the commitment?

    Thank-you for sharing your experience!

    Jacques

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doug - NOPE, no water purification tablets. Buying a bunch of spring water though. It's pretty accessible, only around 10-20 Nepalese Rupees per 1 Litre and stores are just around the corner.

    And, I mean it is what it is. It's the third world, exposed to the first world, via tourists, the internet and movies. It's bound to have effects (positive and negative) on the traditional Buddhist lifestyle!

    Shyra - Squatter bathrooms, ummm, one of the "Eastern Toilets", NOT the normal Western facilities. I was trying to make light of things. I definitely prefer Western toilets, but you do what you got to do, and use a squatter. It definitely is an 'authentic' experience though. I think most of these kids are orphaned, or their parents have enrolled them in. It's a pretty good place, I just spent yesterday watching "The Warrior's Way" with the monks and also watching them play Cricket. The older kids are definitely a little more mature; and I think some of them are pretty serious about their Buddhist studies. Some of them plan on going to "Buddhist University".

    Jacques - Man, it is an awesome experience. They recruit volunteers as often as possible. Apparently there's been teachers here in February and also in April, so we're just the next batch. Duration is up to us, since we're volunteers. I think most volunteers choose any length from 2-12 weeks. I'm officially slated for 6 weeks, but I'm STRONGLY considering going to a meditation retreat in the middle of it (and doing some sightseeing as well); making my commitment more towards 4 weeks.

    I posted a link in a previous post: http://volunteeraddict.com ; which helps one find their own volunteer opportunities abroad. But one can also do what I did, and go with a local Western Agency; which then partners with a credible local NGO; which brokers partnerships with local monasteries/orphanages, etc. Each path has its advantages and disadvantages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you can go on a meditation retreat there, do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You think so? It'll be the Vipassana 10 day retreat though. I have to work out some details, but I may be able to do it.

    ReplyDelete