Monday, June 20, 2011

ESL, Law Students and a Little Trekking Around Town

So I've taught my first few lessons of English to the monks and realized how difficult it really is to be a teacher. My respect and appreciation goes out to all my friends and colleagues who do this as a profession, I've only done it for a few days and it is quite challenging. It's interesting because most of these kids are quite smart and know Nepali and/or Tibetan pretty well. However, they don't have the confidence nor the practice in English to be totally fluent.

It reminds me actually of the first year of law school, where we have EXTREMELY intelligent individuals (1st year law students); struggling to understand the 'legal language'. I just had a taste of how some of my professors must have felt, explaining a concept and then looking into the crowd of a bunch of blank faces, no one really willing to give an appropriate answer. So there you have it, 1L Professors, I appreciate your efforts and patience!

Here's some random pics of the Centre. I really need to take some pictures of the kids while I'm teaching.
This is Thupten (finally got his name); just lying in the middle of our room.


These pics are just of Dennis messing around with the sleeping dog!

Today I also went on a little trek with my colleagues, to the local Lord Vishnu Centre, see pics below.

Lord Vishnu in a pond, in the middle of the Hindu Temple. The monks tell me that the story goes that his figure came down from the Heavens and hence was NOT man-made. At least that's the story!


Scenes from the Temple.


Don't have much else to articulate right now; just have been busy planning lessons. Please leave comments and share with others! That's how I tell people read the blog and motivates me to write more (This is the first time that I've been blogging consistently)!

- Julius

5 comments:

  1. 100% I'm reading this!

    Let me know if you'd like ideas or online resources for your lesson plans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That actually might be useful! Any game suggestions?? (for English learning) I'm planning on teaching the older kids Canadian History next week! Just email me if you have any.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think confidence is the biggest thing. It takes a certain personality to put yourself out there, knowing that you're not great with a language - but it's also the best way to learn. It's a lesson in humility.

    I have co-workers in Nanjing, that have learned English throughout their school years, but don't really get a chance to practice the listening and speaking portion. Thus when it comes to that, they are always a bit reluctant and uncomfortable in that situation. Their written comprehension is great though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a teacher, I know how difficult teaching can be, but also how much fun. Keep it up! You've got really nice kids there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I think confidence is the main thing; their grammar is decent; it IS mainly about listening, speaking and general usage of the language. And the kids are great. I'm going to see if I can do a 2-3 week curriculum on Canadian History for the older kids [with the focus on class discussion, and just use of the English Language]! And "English ONLY" during the classes.

    ReplyDelete