Sunday, July 17, 2011

A Hike, Noodles and Grateful Monks!

Sorry for NOT blogging as often as I once was! It's just been the settling down of my trip in Nepal and also me pre-adjusting myself back to Western Life (checking emails, reading the news, etc!). Anyway, the past few days have been pretty damn awesome!

This is a picture of me and Classes 5-6 right AFTER they wrote my test for Canadian History. I'm still marking them and will be handing it back to the class tomorrow afternoon.

I have a story that is pretty damn spectacular, at least from my perspective; and it all started with an innocent hike with my friend Tyler up to Shivapuri National Park. The park hosts an impressive peak at approx. 2700 m high and also a nunnery called Nagi Gompa. So Tyler and I decided to hike up this mountain, making it pretty much a 7 hour journey up and down the mountain, with us scaling at least over 800 m vertical.

A Goat

Great View 1/2 way up the park.


The above two photos are pictures of Nagi Gompa, inside and outside.

The whole time, we only packed water and no snacks. So I'm complaining the whole time about wishing how I could just have some NOODLES!! Fast forward to today, Tyler and myself, with the help of Yeshey (I misspelt his name on a previous post - Yisia) decided to purchase over 60 bags of noodles and 40 eggs to create a mini-snack for the monks at the monastery. It was quite a hit. See below.


The cooking team working hard!

The final product.

I was told that the monks were praying for Tyler and myself, because we 'sponsored' the meal!




It was a pretty awesome feeling at the end. The whole thing costed us approximately 1100 (approx $15-16 CDN) Nepalese Rupees and we were able to make over 80 monks smile and be grateful to us. And all because I was craving noodles during a trek! Go figure.

- Julius

4 comments:

  1. Love the labeling 'a goat' haha... j/k

    Awesome story. It's amazing that you can feed 80 people there for $15! In Canada you'd be lucky to spend only $15 on yourself for lunch or dinner! I think it's sweet and amazing that they were so appreciative. They seem to understand true appreciation on a much deeper level there whereas here, we have almost an entitlement attitude and a 'me first' type of thinking in our Western Society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is quite amazing and you're right on about the appreciation. I was just happy to give, but the fact that they did the chanting, that was something else! We're seeing if we can do a pasta night tonight too (my last night at the monastery and I think the cost is hovering around $20 right now; so NOT bad at all).

    Yes, gotta love the goats! It was pouring last night, so the two dogs slept in our room!

    Good times, I'll miss this place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julius ... ha ha the instant noodle thing. Alec eats those vile things too ... I lived in Indonesia and I loved sharing some cooking with the people I was staying with too ... but not instant noodles. I always screw those up. (I made french toast!)

    Good luck with the Pasta Night ... just thinking about it is making me hungry.

    I'll show the kids tomorrow exactly what their Uncle Julius is up to ... they like Alec's instant ramen too ...

    karen (in Vancouver)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Karen!

    Pasta NIGHT WAS A HIT!!!

    ReplyDelete