Sunday, June 12, 2011

Days 1-2: The Dark Side of Travelling Abroad


So it's Sunday morning over here, at around 9:30 am. And I'm already dreading my lack of planning for this trip, I KNOW I could have done a better job! Little things, like creating this blog in advance, instead of at Nepal (I wish the timestamp said Sunday - 9:30 am, instead of Saturday Night, Toronto Time - If anyone knows how to change this; please tell me!!). I'm also regretting that my laptop started NOT BOOTING up the day before I headed out to Nepal; and I didn't do enough research to confidently bring my cell phone over (I don't have it unlocked; so I wasn't sure if it was worth bringing it over and buying a Sim Card - ie. I'd have to find a way to unlock the phone, I believe?). I'm sure in retrospect, it's going to be all good.

Anyway, I didn't take any pictures, but last night was amazing! One of the volunteer co-ordinators called me up (right after I woke up from my nap @ 6 pm - still a little jet-lag and on Toronto Time) and invited me to have dinner and drinks with a bunch of volunteers that have been already in Nepal for a few weeks! It was quite alright talking to other "Westerners". Although apparently I LOOK Nepali, it's times like last night that I can see how Western I really am. I really have missed our culture in just a mere 2 days.

Here are some pictures of just my own adventures in the first two days of wandering around, while jet-lagged and still in culture-shock.




You know what? I'm feeling somewhat incompetent in my blogging abilities, as I'm not sure how to organize this pictures appropriately!! Maybe I should have used Wordpress instead, I was used to that interface! It seems that each time I add a picture, it goes to the TOP of my post, which totally messes things up! Ah well, c'est la vie! Perhaps someone can give me some tips on this as well?

The circumstances around these two pictures is quite interesting; since it reflects I think some of the darker aspects of travelling abroad and the tourism industry in general. I was walking down one of the main roads of Thamel, Kathmandu (the main tourist place here); and a random local, let's call him "O" approached me. Basically he invited me to walk with him, found out that I was spending most of my time volunteering in a monastery and then told me a story of how he was training to become a painter of mandalas and that he was living in a local monastery (see picture #1 above). He led me to a local store in where he said was his 'teacher' of painting these mandalas, in which I was immediately involved in a sales pitch in them attempting to sell me some hand-drawn paintings for $100 USD (I must say though, the paintings were quite amazing!).

Anyway, long story short. I was able to squeeze myself out of the situation, gave him a little tip for showing me around and quietly went on my way finding my way home. It was quite an interesting experience. As although the local Nepali people are amazing, there is such also an entrepreneurial side to things; as some individuals find it justified to; in my opinion 'con' unsuspecting foreigners (ie. ME).

So that's that, there's so much more I'd like to share in only these two days, but I think that's enough for now and just something to think about. Don't get me wrong, I think travelling abroad is great and I'm looking forward to going to my monastery latter this week; but eh, there is a 'dark side' to everything. I'd LOVE to hear your comments, this will be my main mode of correspondence with the outside world for the next two months, so yes! Please leave a comment and feel free to share this blog with others who are interested.

- Julius

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm... It's interesting how locals compensate for being poor by becoming very entrepreneurial. That guy who tried to sell you a painting was very slick! He roped you in with his personal story, showing you around etc. It makes you wonder how many non-suspecting tourists bought his paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah man, those 'entrepreneurs' are everywhere around the world, especially in places with less economic stimulation. sometimes, tourist dollars are the only dollars.

    but hey man, gladd you're fitting in. post more pics! (they look dope!)

    p.s. im sharing this on facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Share away, Stinson!

    Shyra - Yeah, it's crazy. Some of these guys are better than experienced Network Marketers! I did some 'shopping research' afterwards and checked local stores. They were offering (without me haggling); the same types of paintings for 1/3 or 1/2 the price.

    If I were to buy a mandala painting, I'd rather buy it from a more honest shopkeeper like that one, instead of that intense sales guy. I also found out that they're generally not the painters, they get it from local painters, etc. ie. The initial guy might have just been clever and good at telling a compelling story (of saying that he was the painter AND buddhist).

    ReplyDelete